May 2018 Newsletter
Posted by Brian Hudson on 17/05/2018 08:12
GCCL – Newsletter to Clubs – May 2018
This newsletter records the key points from the County League Committee Meeting on May 14.
Thank you very much to all the League’s teams for a very smooth start to the season. It was disappointing that the awful Spring weather meant that some matches had to be cancelled in the beautiful weather on May 5. Some cancellations were inevitable due to clubs’ geographical location, but it is a concern that some may have been due to insufficient pre-season preparation.
The final position following the full programme of umpiring and scoring courses is detailed in the spreadsheet attached below. The necessary sanctions will now be applied.
Again, huge thanks to the clubs for their support of the courses. For all types the attendance was at, or close to, record levels. The early evidence is that this is feeding through into more enjoyable Saturday afternoons.
Grateful thanks to the training teams at GACUS and GACO for their support, and to the clubs that provided facilities.
Thank you very much to all the clubs for their co-operation in returning the faulty stumps. Readers are now preparing samples using a different approach and, all being well, it is hoped to re-distribute in early June.
- The feedback has been that the new Player/Club umpire cards distributed at the Captains’ Briefing are proving very helpful and beneficial.
However, there is also feedback that some teams are not using them. Please do so because in addition to their usefulness on match days, in the same way as the ECB Team cards, they could also help in resolving a post-match dispute
- The new No Ball rule applies in all divisions. This is an MCC Law and must be applied in all cricket for bowlers over the age of 13
- The leg-side wide rule introduced in 2017 only applies in Divisions 1 to 4
- The correct number of overs bowled is essential because this is used in the Net Run Rate calculation that influences league positions
- Including “Highlights” is very important and helpful for the press and website reports. Please do indicate the club of the players mentioned because, otherwise, the information is worthless
- There is no longer a requirement for payment of Tea money.